Translate

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

When The Cat's Away...

Once upon a time, when I was a much younger girl, it was a great treat to have my parents house to myself when they went away on hockey tournaments with my brother. I would plan to have my friends over, we would stay up late with no adults enforcing their lame curfews on us! We would order pizza and play loud music (sorry about all those blown speakers Dad!!) It was a time to let loose and test the boundaries of our youth. It was a time to celebrate!

But alas, the tables have turned.

Right now I am home alone, my husband is away on business in Atlanta for the week. It's getting a little out of control (obviously, I am writing a blog at 9pm!) My how the times have changed, I worked hard today, putting more than a few kilometers on my car and sorting through a massive pile of paperwork of offers, counter offers and closing inspection reports for 3 ends! Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my work but it was a BIG DAY!!

Moving on to this evening, I am in my yoga pants, eating homemade soup and snuggling with my ever cuddly dachshund who is like my little shadow at home. I have no desire to stay up late or get foolish this weekend, in fact I am looking forward to sleeping diagonally across my bed with ALL the pillows, perhaps taking my coffee in the hot tub in the morning, and puttering around my house in complete silence! Oh The Joys I Have Come to Appreciate! 


In my old age I have become more peaceful with being alone and I don't feel it necessary to fill my days with constant entertainment. In my line of work, I find that I am constantly having to be "ON". I have to have the right answers to never ending questions and queries from my clients and the public. I never know when I might run into a prospective client so even running to the grocery store means making sure I am presentable. My car is fully wrapped with my logo and a larger than life headshot so I can't speed or yell at frustrating people on the road... As a recognizable figure where my face and name is my brand, I must always make sure that I present the right image, and that can be exhausting for a girl that grew up as a tomboy in a barn!

I am finding now that after years as a professional athlete, working in the service industry and having several management positions, I am well suited and enjoy a public sort of life and my personality would never allow me to do otherwise! Perhaps I am mellowing, perhaps I am (gasp) growing up, and perhaps I am just peaceful in my own company... But having my evenings silent, home alone with a fire going, making food and going to bed early sounds pretty darn delightful for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment